Monday, June 18, 2007

A Sean Update

I havent gotten a chance to see the blog since before we actually started riding on our trip. Its good to see that people seem to like it. A quick update from me: I'm really sore. Those Sierra Nevadas are steep and long, at times we were only going 5 mph up the mountain. Today though we passed through the highest point, Carson Pass, which is if I remember correctly 8573 feet high, it was almost above the tree line. Going down the mountains was alot of fun, I hit 50.6 mph going down, thats a new personal record. Backing up a little bit, crossing the river that we ran into right before Sacramento was awful. We wasted about 4 hours trying to figure out how to cross it. The map just showed us easily riding across, but there was no bridge, there was the remainder of one though. So we walked our bikes along a train track for half a mile and after talking to some fisherman that had just crossed the river, we found a spot that we could cross. The crossing took multiple trips, and since I dont do well with swimming or large bodies of water it freaked me out a bit. My bike hasn't been handling the trip very well so far; one torn tire, a front deralieur that wouldnt shift, a flat, and now gear buttons that are quickly dieing on me. O well it will keep working.

1 comment:

Soul Art By Jackye said...

It was so great to hear your voice last night. We could tell you truly are lovin' this adventure. Take care of your bike - whatever it needs. Wear your sunscreen, eat lots, and stay hydrated - especially during the next few days as you travel through Nevada. Call us when you can. We love you and are so very proud of you. Hi to the guys.