Saturday, June 23, 2007

Records are Made to be Broken

Some times you just gotta go really fast, lets say "I felt the need for speed." After going over Carson Pass, at 8574 feet, I decided it would be fun to try and break my longstanding personal speed record of 43.6 mph. To even have a chance I had to remove my rear panniers and leave them in the van. We set off down the mountian and I soon left Sean behind (we planned a meeting spot so don't get too worked up.) Soon after we started, within the first mile of the decent, we went down the steepest and longest sections of road I have ever been down, but I was not warmed up and not "feeling the burn" and I only beat my record by .5 mph. So after another six or so miles I found another stretch that fit the bill. I cannot think of any other time that I have ever pushed myself that hard on my bike. On that section I smashed my record, I got up to 51.6 mph. But records are made to be broken and you can be sure I will try again sometime this trip.

No comments: