Saturday, July 14, 2007

Day 31-Roadkill, Toadkill, & Wrong Turns



Miles Completed Today: 84
Total Miles Completed: 2030
Miles To Go: 1670

Sean and Pat rolled out of Rush Center, KS this morning at 11:00 AM after waiting around for a restaurant to open for breakfast. Then they proceeded to ride smartly out of town on the wrong road for thirty miles to Great Bend, KS before realizing their mistake. (Kevin, thank you for the comment.) Lucky for them it was in the right direction and they will not lose much time as a result; credibility, yes, but time, no. The roads today are covered with little toads about the size of a walnut, and, of course, half of them are "toadkill". It must be the season.

Update: Call it the luck of the Irish, but Sean and Pat's taking of the wrong route worked to their advantage as part of the correct route was washed out by the recent heavy rains near the Quivira National Wildlife Reserve. They would have had to ford their second creek of the trip had they gone that way. We ran into the "California Team" yesterday and they did have to cross the washed out section. The SAG had to detour about twenty five miles, so fording the creek was the right decision.

Slowly but surely over the last two days the endless wheat fields have given way to mostly corn fields and much more tree growth. The humidity has definitely picked up as we make our way to the Mississippi River valley. We get daily thunderstorms but have been fortunate enough to dodge most of them. They do drop the teperature though, which is a nice respite.

Today's Internet courtesy of the Larned, KS Public Library.

4 comments:

california fitz said...

I have not done any calculations, but 64 miles per day with 11 am start will get you to the end on schedule? Just wondering, you guys are doing great, we all just want to make sure you finish. I went for a 3 hour ride today in your honor in the early afternoon (it was hot for me). That's it for me for the week. keep pedaling.
uncle tim

Sean and Ariel Mahan said...

You guys are doing great. I am so proud of you. You have gone halfway across the country! Unbelievable. That is so great. I feel sorry for the toads, but my dad accidentally ran over a ground squirrel the other day. Yes there were tears, but they are gone now.

Sean and Ariel Mahan said...

Oops I forgot something. Did you know www.coast2coast.blogspot.com sends you to a completely different website. I was wondering when Justin entered this trip. Ha ha. I forgot the 007. Silly me. Keep up the great work. Good Luck!

Soul Art By Jackye said...

Hi guys, It is amazing what you have accomplished already. We so want you two to finish before college starts!

Sean, since you're not standing up in your cousin's wedding on the 28th because you are a bit behind; we REALLY want you to finish on time!!!! So do what you gotta do from here on out. Don't worry about money. Just ride alot every day!

BTW how did she take the news? I guess I'll find out when I talk to her myself. RIDE RIDE RIDE - maybe even try getting going before double digits of the day - hahahaha

Be Safe & Have Fun! Call me.