Thursday, July 19, 2007

Day 36-Is That A Tailwind?





Miles Completed Today: 71
Total Miles Completed: 2406
Miles To Go: 1294

Ash Grove, MO is a picturesque small town with a main street about two hundred yards long. Unfortunately, it appears to be dying a slow death as more than half of the stores are closed. A few miles north of Ash Grove on Route V (that's V as in VW; some roads in the Show Me State are lettered instead of numbered) on the way to Walnut Grove is the old homestead of Nathanial Boone, the youngest son of Daniel Boone. Pat & Sean passed by it around 11:00 AM this morning en route to Hartville, MO riding their first good tailwind of the journey. They'll be taking roads that don't even qualify to get printed on most atlases.

Update: Sean and Pat made it to Hartville around six o'clock but had to wait on the SAG because he was busy buying fireworks in a store! After arriving, the team camped in Hartville's city park for the night.

Today's Internet courtesy of the Meyer Library at Missouri State University.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey a tailwind.. must mean the first 90 mile day. Come on we know you can do it.

Seriously, those shirts are biohazards and need to be disposed of properly.

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, I am catching up with you while on a study break from defensive tactics instructor recertification test I'm studying for. We have a written testin the morning from some handouts and our discussions from the last four days of training. Just a lot of wrestling, choking, boxing, gun and knife take aways etc. etc. basically beat each other up for four days. I, of course, am the oldest and I'm sure the sorest, but I drew inspiration this week from the two bicyclers who have been beating themselves up for weeks, with weeks to go. You inspired me, so now you guys keep it up and finish on time. Uncle Tim (a kindred 007)

Anonymous said...

You guys are fabulous. I have been writing comments that haven't shown--computers are not friendly to me! When you were in Kansas was telling you to imagine those plains filled with herds of buffalo. Pat, your great grandfather, J.R. Mead was a buffalo hunter and founder of Wichita, KS. Our friends ask regularly for an up date and am so proud of you. Mead said to send this on Anonymous, so will see if it works. Grandma Bonnie

Sean and Ariel Mahan said...

You guys are doing great! I can't believe you were chased by dogs (if I understood correctly). What a different experience. I still not exactly sure what a tailwind is? Oh well I guess I will find out eventually. Ooo, I learned a new word. Anal retentive (or something like that). My cousin said there are two kinds of brides. Happy ones and anal retentive ones. I went to a wedding all day today (which is why that came up)